Disc golf in the winter season
The winter season is probably the time of year that has the lowest disc golf activity. But disc golf can be played all year round, and every season has its pros and cons. As long as it’s not too cold, and the snow isn’t so high that it covers the baskets, well then it’s possible to play disc golf in the winter season as well.
To help you out, we have put together a few tips for playing disc golf in the winter season.
Tips for playing disc golf in the winter
As always when it’s cold, warm clothes are a must.
- Bring a extra set of gloves to keep your hands warm and dry.
- Good footwear is also important when playing in the winter. Get some shoes that have good grip on the ice.
- Wear clothes that keep you warm. The goal is to keep you warm, but try not to wear too much and too thick clothing, so it doesn’t affect your throwing technique as much.
What discs to use in your round of winter disc golf
Let’s start whit what you should not throw.
Keep away from throwing your white discs if there is much snow on the course. well, unless you want to lose them that is. And for the same reason, don’t use your irreplaceable discs when playing in the snow.
When playing in cold weather, the plastic-type also matters a lot. If it’s cold, stay away from using the stiff plastic discs, the main reason being that when hit a tree or any hard object at high speed, that disc will most likely break into pieces.
The grip is also very different when playing in the cold. You can check out our disc golf plastic guide to see what plastic is a good fit for playing in cold weather.
Some extra tips for your disc golf winter round:
- Make sure to follow the flight of your disc extra closely, so that you see where the discs lands.
- If there is a lot of snow, using a colored ribbon tapered to your disc will make it a lot easier to find it. Just make sure the ribbon is long enough to stay above the snow.
You might think this will heavily affect the flight of your disc, but the difference isn’t that big with the ribbon on, and It will save you a lot of time searching for discs in the snow.
Have some more tricks and tips for playing in the winter? Let us know in the comments. Thanks for reading.
Disc Golf Approach Shots Approach Shots In disc golf is an important aspect of the game. Getting the approach shot technique tuned in, and knowing when to use it, will help you lower your score in the…
Why should i clean my disc golf discs? Why should I clean my disc golf discs? firstly, because having your discs fresh and clean is just better than having them covered in old dirt and grass. Secondly…
Getting good at long distance disc golf drives is something everyone should be practicing getting better at.There are courses that have insane distances from the Tee Pad to the Basket.In this article,…